The Story of a young man who spoke from his grave
Imam Ibn Askair al-Shafi`I [d.571A.H] narrates with the following chain of narration:
[Tarikh Damishq, Vol 45, p.450]
Abul Hasan Ali bin al Muslim from Abdul Aziz bin bin Ahmed from Abu Muhammed bin Abi Nasr from his father abu Ali from Abdul Wahab al Maydani from Abu Nasr bin al Jabban who said that he heard from Abu Suleiman bin Zabar from Abul Hasan Umar bin Jam’a bin amr al kufi from Imarn bin Musa al Tartusi from Abu Saleh from Yahya bin Ayyub al-Khazai that :
During the caliphate of Sayyedina Umar ibn Khattab ( radi Allah ‘anhu) there was a young man who used to spend his time worshiping and praying in masjid . Umar ( radi Allah ‘anhu) was very happy with him. The man used to perform isha (night) prayers and used to come back to his old father. On this way, there was a house of a woman who liked this young man. The woman used to stand on his way. One day the woman ensnared the young man and he followed her. When they both reached at the door of the woman’s house, the young man started remembering Allah .The following verses came out from his tongue: [Al Araf, 201; 7:201]
إِنَّ الَّذِينَ اتَّقَوْا إِذَا مَسَّهُمْ طَائِفٌ مِّنَ الشَّيْطَانِ تَذَكَّرُوا فَإِذَا هُم مُّبْصِرُونَ
The young man became unconscious and fell down. The woman called her maid; they both lifted the young man and dropped him at his door. The family members of the young man lifted him and took him inside the house. At late night the man became conscious. When his father inquired him about the incidence, the young man narrated the entire incidence. The father asked him: O my son! Which verses ( ayat) did you recite? The man repeated the verse and again became unconscious and fell down. The family members tried to revoke his consciousness, but he was dead. They washed his dead body and buried him. In the morning when the news reached Umar ( radi Allah ‘anhu) he came to his father for condolence and asked as to why was he not informed ? The father told him that as it was night, they did not inform. Umar (radi Allah ‘anhu) said: “Take me to his grave”. Umar (radi Allah ‘anhu) and his companions reached at the grave of that young man.
Umar (radi Allah ‘amhu ) said: “ O young man! ولمن خاف مقام ربه جنتان (Whosoever feared to stand in front of his Lord then there are two gardens for him,55:46) The man replied two times from his grave: O Umar! My Lord has given me two gardens, inside garden.
This narration has been recorded by the following hadith masters:
- Hafiz Ibn Kathir [d.774 AH] ( Tafsir, under Sura Al Araf, ayat 201)
- Imam Suyuti [d.911 AH] (Sharh al Sudur bi Sharh hal al Mawta wa al Qubur)
- Imam Ali ibn Husamud-Din al-Muttaqi al-Hindi [d.975 AH] ( Kanzul Ummal,4634)
Important Note for our Wahabbi brothers
The Founder of Wahabbi cult, Ibn Abdal Wahhab Najdi al Tamimi has also mentioned this complete narration [ as recorded by Imam Ibn Asakir]in his book “Ahkam Tamanni al Mawt”.
Please see the scans at this link
As per Wahabbi belief all the Muslims in the Arabian Peninsula had become “mushrik” and were worshipping “graves” .Ibn Abdal Wahab Najdi eradicated this ‘shirk ‘by killing innocent Muslims. It is quiet amusing to note that this man has quoted a narration in his book which promotes visiting graves of the pious Muslim!
4 Imam al-Bayhaqi [d.458 AH] has narrated this incidence with another chain of narration and with a shorter description which is as follows:[ Shu’bul Iman, no 736]
Abul Hussain Ali bin Muhammed bin Bushran from Abu Ali Barz’ai from Abdullah bin Muhammed bin Ubaid from Muhammed bin Yahya bin Abi Hatim azdi from Abu Jafar Razi from Abu Jafar al Sayah from Rabi bin Sabih from Hasan [al Basari]
In the narration of Imam al-Bayhaqi it says: Umar (radi Allah ‘anhu) stood near the dead man and said “Two Gardens are for you, Two Gardens are for you” [End of al Bayhaqi’s narration]
5 Imam Suyuti [ The version of al-Bayhaqi, al Dur al Manthur, Surah Al Rahman, ayat 46]
6 Imam al –Alusi [The version of al-Bayhaqi ,Ruh al-Ma’ani, Surah Al Rahman ayat 46]
7 Imam Ali ibn Husamud-Din al-Muttaqi al-Hindi [The version of al-Bayhaqi , Kanzul Ummal,4635
- These are two different chains of narrations.
- The chain of Imam Bayhaqi is weak. But the other chain [as mentioned by Imam Ibn Asakir] is not objectionable. Even if both the chains were weak, they would strengthen each other.
- Hafiz Ibn Kathir has quoted Imam Ibn Asakir.
From the above narration we come to know that:
1. Before committing a sin, if we remember Allah and give up that sinful act, this brings us the good tidings of two gardens.
2. The pious Muslims are alive in their grave and are under special niyamah of Allah.
3. To visit the graves of pious Muslim is the Sunnah of Sayyedina Umar (radi Allah ‘anhu)
Note: We have already seen the sunnah of prophet ( sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) at this link
4. To visit the family members of a dead Muslim for condolence is the Sunnah of Umar (rd)
5. Speaking to the dead person in grave and the dead person speaking from the grave, both are established by this narration.
6. Those hadith whichs says that the people of grave do not reply in a manner which you can hear, it means, in normal conditions it cannot be heard.
Abdullah Sabri Chishti
14 Jamadi ul Ula 1433 AH
Saturday,7 April 2012